Join the Vandegrift Family Foundation to Make a Difference
Our Volunteers Make This Program Work!
The Purpose of the Vandegrift Family Foundation
The Vandegrift Family Foundation (VFF) exists to continue the memory of Lt. Matthew Vandegrift and John Dutch Vandegrift by accomplishing their wishes to have four, four year endowed scholarships for students of Vandegrift High School (VHS) to attend Texas A&M University (TAMU).
These scholarships consists of:
- Lt. Matthew Vandegrift Memorial Corps of Cadets Scholarship. This scholarship is to be awarded to a VHS student that intends to enter the TAMU Corps of Cadets. This scholarship is currently fully funded and was awarded on a four year cycle of 2012 and 2016. The next scholarship will be awarded in 2020. This scholarship was funded with a match made by the TAMU Foundation from a grant supporting The Corps of Cadets and is awarded by The TAMU Foundation in conjunction with The Corps of Cadets. VFF works in conjunction with all parties to help identify a suitable VHS candidate for this scholarship.
- Lt. Matthew Vandegrift Mays Business School Scholarship. This scholarship is to be awarded to a VHS student that intends to enter the TAMU Mays Business School and has qualified for the Honor’s Program. This scholarship is currently fully funded and was awarded on a four year cycle of 2014. The next scholarship will be awarded in 2018. This scholarship was funded with a match made by the TAMU Mays Business School (MBS) and is awarded by it. VFF works in conjunction with MBS and VHS to help identify a suitable VHS candidate for this scholarship.
- John (Dutch) Vandegrift ‘Second To None’ Scholarship. This scholarship is to be awarded to a VHS student that has been selected as ‘Second To None’ recipient while at VHS and intends to attend TAMU. This scholarship is currently unfunded. The VFF will be responsible for raising the remainder of the funds to endow and then administer this award working through the Capital City A&M Club Scholarship Committee and VHS.
- Lt. Matthew Vandegrift ‘Second To None’ Scholarship. This scholarship is to be awarded to a VHS student that has been selected as ‘Second To None’ recipient while at VHS and intends to go to TAMU. Should other matching funds become available, VFF would consider other criteria or name for this award. This scholarship is currently unfunded.
The Foundation is committed to raising and managing the funds necessary for the two unfunded four, four year endowed scholarships, approximately $105,000 each, and to coordinate the selection of the scholarships recipients with the Capital City A&M Club (CCAMC), VHS, TAMU Mays Business School, and TAMU Corps of Cadets Foundation. Additional scholarships may be considered, but shall be limited to VHS students attending TAMU.
Qualifications for Membership, Duration, and Requirements
Members must be willing to volunteer time to achieve the primary purpose of the VFF and should be one or more of the following:
- Vandegrift Family, Dutch, Mary Jane and Barrett, their descendant or duly appointed representative
- VHS staff or faculty, appointed by The Principal, TBD
- CCAMC representative, preferably the Scholarship Chairman, TBD
- Friend of Vandegrift Family, Scott Smith and Andrew Giles
- Parent of current or former VHS student, TBD
- Parent of Aggie, TBD or
- TAMU Former Student in the VHS area
- Members may serve as long as they wish to remain an active member
Requirements of Members:
- Attend at least one VFF meeting per year.
- Provide leadership, direction, and support to achieve the primary purpose of the VFF.
- Provide the due diligence and appropriate oversight of the funds.
- Ensure periodic financial audits are performed by a qualified person
- Ensure to meet the federal and state requirements for a Non-Profit Corporation.
- Review, approve, and revise as needed the VFF By-Laws.
Meetings will be held once per year in Austin on or near the VHS Valor Day celebration, April 21, at a time and location to be determined by the Vandegrift family. Prior to each meeting an invitation with an agenda will be prepared and submitted to the members.
Fund raising activities will be determined, coordinated, and implemented by the VFF members.
Help VHS Students Attend Their #1 Choice of Schools
~ Texas A&M University ~
Please Make a Tax Deductible Donation Today!